Have a sweet tooth, but prefer something healthier and easier to make? This gluten free apple cake recipe is so simple, requires only a few ingredients, and only 15 minutes of preparing time.Jump to Recipe
From time to time, we love to make some sweet treats. Most of the time, I try to make my desserts healthier by adding less sugar, making them gluten-free, loading the recipe with fruits, nuts, or even veggies.
This recipe is inspired by the famous Russian "Sharlotka" cake. I substituted refined sugar for less amount of coconut sugar, white flour for paleo flour mix. It is a very moist, delicious, guilt-free dessert. The slice of this paleo cake is perfect with a cup of tea or coffee. So if you are familiar with Sharlotka cake, this is basically a paleo version of it.
Why you will love this recipe
- it is a gluten-free, dairy-free and paleo But does it taste good? - or yes, it's absolutely delicious.
- you will need only 6 ingredients, that is including cinnamon and lemon juice.
- this recipe for gluten free apple cake calls only 90 grams of sugar. So much less compared to other cake recipes.
- no frosting required. If you like, use some powdered sugar for dusting.
- it is a perfect dessert for those who are following a paleo diet or cannot consume gluten or dairy.
-Apples: any apples will work, I used Gala this time, but Granny Smith are the best in my opinion.
-Paleo Flour: I used Bob's Red Mill Paleo Baking Flour. There are not many paleo flour options. I found it at Whole Foods and it's a great alternative. The ingredients are Almond Flour, Arrow Root Starch, Coconut Flour and Tapioca Flour.
Coconut Sugar: Coconut sugar is paleo compliant. You can use any other type of sugar if you do not follow a paleo diet.
Eggs: large cold or warm eggs. For best result, take them out to bring t the room temperature.
Lemon Juice: you will need just a squeeze for the apples. It will prevent them from turning black.
Cinnamon: you can skip it completely, but it goes so well with this gluten-free apple cake.
See the recipe card for quantities.
- Measuring cup or kitchen scale
- Measuring Spoons
- Large Mixing Bowl
- Hand Mixer
- 9 Inches Spring form Cake pan
1. Preheat oven to 175°F. Wash, peel and core the apple. Use a knife or veggie peeler, cut it in half, remove any seeds and strings. Cube the apple into 1-2 inch size cubes. They do not have the same size and are perfect. You can also slice apples into thin wedges. Sprinkle some cinnamon on top of the apples. I also squeeze a little bit of lemon juice on top of my apples to prevent them from getting dark while I am making the dough. Set them aside in a separate bowl.
2. In a large bowl, add eggs and coconut sugar., Using a hand mixer, mix the ingredients on high speed for about 3-4 minutes until you see some tiny bubbles appear on top.
3. Switch the mixer on lower speed and gradually add paleo flour continuing mixing until all ingredients are well combined and you have a smooth brown dough.
4. On the bottom of a spring-form cake, add the chopped apples and arrange them around the whole surface.
5. Pour the cake dough on top of the apples. Bake this apple cake for 50-60 minutes or until the toothpick comes out clean and the top of the cake browned.
Use some cooking oil spray or parchment paper for your cake form. I did not use any and mine did not stick, but my cake form was brand new. If your cake form is older, I recommend using oil spray or parchment paper to avoid sticking.
- Serve the slice of this gluten-free cake as a dessert or can be a great sweet breakfast.
- I love it with the hot cup of earl grey tea.
How to store
It's a small cake and I recommend consuming it in one day, but if you have leftovers, see the following suggested storage method to keep the cake fresh and soft:
-room temperature in an airtight container up for 3 days
-refrigerator in a bag or air-tight container up for 6 days.
Other sweet treats recipes you may like
Glute free apple cake recipe
- 1 kitchen scale or measuring cup
- measuring spoons
- 1 hand mixer
- 1 Large Mixing Bowl
- 1 round spring form cake form 9 inch
- 2 apples medium size
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon or more to taste
- 3 eggs room temperature recommended
- 90 grams coconut sugar or ½ cup
- 120 grams paleo flour or 1 cup
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Peel, core and cube the apples. Mix them with cinnamon and lemon juice. Set aside.2 apples, ½ teaspoon cinnamon, 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- In a large mixing bowl, add eggs and coconut sugar. Beat on high speed for 3-4 minuted with the hand mixer, until it becomes fluffy and small bubbles appear.3 eggs, 90 grams coconut sugar
- Switch the mixer on lower speed, slowly add the flour and mix until well combined.120 grams paleo flour
- At the bottom of a round spring form, add apples. They should cover the whole surface of the cake form. Pour the cake dough over the apples.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes or until the tooth pick comes out clear. Let it stand for 15 minutes before removing the cake from the pan. Enjoy hot or cold.