Enjoy this high altitude zucchini bread as a quick breakfast or a snack. This delicious loaf is made with freshly shredded zucchini, whole wheat flour, olive oil, Greek yogurt, coconut sugar, pumpkin seeds, and a generous amount of chocolate chips.
Summer is the best time for zucchini recipes, because it's in season from June to August. However, in most states, this vegetable is available all year round.
Last week, I was making our Turkey Meatloaf with Zucchini for dinner and I had a half of a large zucchini left. So I decided to use it to bake this delicious Zucchini bread with chocolate chips for a dessert.
We live in high altitude Colorado area, which can make baking tricky sometimes. This high altitude zucchini bread recipe has been tested multiple times and is absolutely delicious. It's moist, moderately sweet and so easy to make.
What's nutritious about this zucchini bread
- it is made with whole wheat organic flour. Whole wheat flour has more fiber and nutrients compared to white flour.
- shredded zucchini is rich in fiber, folate, vitamin A.
- raw pumpkin seeds are a great source of vitamin K, Phosphorus.
- chocolate is a great mood booster food and it is a powerful source of antioxidants.
Here is the list of all simple and affordable ingredients for this easy chocolate chip zucchini bread recipe
Whole Wheat Flour: I love using whole wheat flour in my sweet loaves and muffins. In my opinion, it has better flavor and texture, and of course better nutrition value.
Salt: little salt will balance the flavors and is great for improving the texture of baked goods.
Baking Powder, Baking Soda: you will need both for making your bread rise well.
Eggs: preferably room temperature eggs.
Coconut Sugar: I used a small amount of coconut sugar in this recipe. Coconut Sugar has a beautiful caramel color.
Greek Yogurt: I used 5% Fage Greek yogurt. This brand is thick and has a good amount of fat, which is great for baking.
Extra Virgin Olive Oil: it is great for baking muffins and sweet loafs. You cannot taste the taste of olive oil in zucchini baked bread.
Vanilla Extract: adds some great flavor.
Zucchini: I used one medium green zucchini. I washed it and cut of the ends and shredded it using a grater box. No need top peel it. Keep extra nutrients and fibers.
Pumpkin Seeds: I used raw pumpkin seeds for extra texture and nutrients. You can skip them.
Chocolate Chips: I used semi-sweet 54% chocolate chips. Dark chocolate will be great do, but I do not recommend using milk chocolate chips here.
See recipe card for quantities.
How to make this chocolate chip zucchini bread
This is the step by step detailed instructions how to make this zucchini bread.
Shred Zucchini: Wash and dry one medium or large zucchini. Use a larger side of a grater box shred zucchini. Let it rest whole you prepare the rest of ingredients. Do not t squeeze the liquid out of your zucchini when baking at high altitude.
Mix Dry Ingredients: In the first mixing bowl, measure and add whole wheat flour, salt, baking soda and baking powder. Whisk to combine.
Mix Wet ingredients: in the second mixing bowl, add eggs, coconut sugar, yogurt, oil, vanilla. Whisk well until combined.
Combine Wet and Dry Ingredients: pour the dry ingredients into wet ingredients and mix the dough with wooden or silicone spatula until it's one consistency. The dough will be thick.
Add Zucchini, Chocolate And Seeds: fold in shredded zucchini, chocolate chips and pumpkin seeds.
Pour and Bake: Grease the pan with little bit of coconut oil or cooking oil. Transfer the dough into prepared pan. Bake your zucchini bread for about 45-50 minutes at 375 °F, or until the toothpick comes out clear and the bread looks browned on top. Let the bread sit in the pan for 10 minutes before taking it out. Serve hot or chilled.
How long does zucchini bread last and how to store it
When chocolate chip zucchini bread fully cools down you can store it in the fridge or freezer.
Refrigeration: store in the air tight container or food storage bag in the fridge for about 3-4 days.
Freezing: slice zucchini bread into slices and store the sliced bread in freezer-safe container or bag for about 2 month. Reheat the needed number of slices in a microwave for 60 seconds, flipping them half way.
Tips for success
- Do not over-mix the batter
- Do not squeeze any juice out of shredded zucchini (when baking at higher elevations, it is recommended to add more liquid)
- If baking at a lower altitude (we are at Colorado altitude, about 5,994'), consider squeezing some liquid out of shredded zucchini.
- if baking at a lower altitude, bake zucchini bread at 350°.
- Use room temperature eggs for better results.
- Add some extra chocolate chips on top of the bread before baking for a beautiful look
Recipe variations and substitutions
Make it gluten-free by using oat flour instead.
For egg-free version, use the flax-seed egg (1 Tablespoon of flax seed meal and 3 Tablespoons of water to substitute one egg).
If you do not want to use oil, add same amount of apple sauce instead.
You can use same amount of regular sugar in place of coconut sugar.
Other easy sweet treats recipes
High altitude zucchini bread with chocolate chips
- 1 9.25x.5.25x2.75 loaf pan
- 1 grater box you can also use food processor
- 2 large mixing bowls
- 2 Measuring Cup For convenience - one for dry, one for wet ingredients. You can use only one.
- 1 set of measuring spoons
- 1 Whisk
- 1 silicone or wooden spatula
- 1.5 cup whole wheat flour
- 0.5 cup coconut sugar
- 0.5 teaspoon salt
- 0.5 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 eggs preferably room temperature
- ½ cup Fage Greek Yogurt
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 medium-small zucchini about 1 cup shredded
- ⅓ cup raw pumpkin seeds
- 1 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil for the pan (or non stick spray oil)
- Wash and dry zucchini, cut off the ends. Using a grater box (shredder side), shred the whole zucchini and set aside.1 medium-small zucchini
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Grease the loaf pan with some coconut oil or cooking spray.1 teaspoon coconut oil
- In a large mixing bowl, add flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Whisk to combine.
- In a second mixing bowl, add eggs, sugar, oil, yogurt, vanilla extract. Mix well with the whisk until all ingredients are combined.0.5 cup coconut sugar, 2 eggs, ½ cup Fage Greek Yogurt, ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil, 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pour dry ingredients into wet and mix the dough with the silicone spatula. Mix until the dough is thick and one consistency. But do not over mix it.
- Fold in zucchini (no need to squeeze the liquid out), chocolate chips and pumpkin seeds.1 medium-small zucchini, 1 cup semi sweet chocolate chips, ⅓ cup raw pumpkin seeds
- Transfer prepared dough into the loaf pan. Bake for 45-50 minutes or until the toothpick inserted comes out clear. Let it stand for 10 minutes before removing the bread from the pan.
- Do not over-mix the dough.
- Do not squeeze the liquid out of shredded zucchini if baking at high altitude. It will help the bread to be even more moist.