Looking for some easy, nutritious, and cozy dinner idea? Check out this turkey and beef meatloaf recipe. This is one of my son's favorite dinners. This meatloaf with sauteed vegetables is made with a mix of beef and turkey meat, vegetables and a tangy glaze on top. It comes out juicy and flavorful.
This recipe was adapted from The Spruce Eats recipe blog. I changed it quite a bit by omitting mushrooms, using quick oats instead of breadcrumbs, Worcestershire sauce, adding some celery, and few more other things. I always aim for lower sodium recipes, so I used half amount of salt than the original recipe, and the meatloaf still turned out amazingly savory. I really loved the idea of adding vegetables to the meatloaf, which makes them more nutritious and juicy.
Why you will love this recipe
- This recipe is full of different nutrients because we will use two types of meat and vegetables. Lots of times people wonder: can you mix turkey and beef for meatloaf? Yes, you can. 2 types of meat will make your meatloaf even tastier. If you are looking for just beef meatloaf recipe, check out my mini beef meatloaves recipe.
- This veggie packed meatloaf is gluten free. We are using gluten free quick rolled oats instead of traditional bread crumbs
- For picky eaters: you will not even taste or see much of vegetables in this meatloaf.
- The glaze is super delicious and we add some of it to the meat mix to make the loaf even juicier.
- In spite of quite a few additional ingredients comparing to classic meatloaf, this recipe is very easy to make and kids can help you prepare it.
- Tomato Ketchup: ½ cup of good quality tomato ketchup.
- Yellow Mustard: 1 Tablespoon of yellow mustard
- Black Pepper: ¼ teaspoon of black pepper. You can use more depending on your taste.
Ground Turkey: 1 pound of lean ground turkey (93 or 97% lean). I always buy organic good quality meat. If you have an electrical meat mincer you can make your own.
Ground Beef: 1 pound of organic grass-fed ground beef. Since the turkey is very lean meat I used 93% lean beef. You can also use 85% mince.
Quick Rolled Oats: ½ cup of quick rolled oats for binding all the ingredients and for texture. If you are avoid gluten, make sure the oats are gluten free.
Egg: 1 large egg will do the job to combine all the ingredients.
Carrot: I used one medium-sized carrot.
Onion: ¼ of yellow onion. You can use any other onion here.
Celery: 1 rib of celery. You can use 2 if your celery ribs are short and small.
Bell pepper: ½ of yellow bell pepper. You can use green, orange or yellow. It does not matter.
Olive Oil: 1 Tablespoon of olive oil to saute the vegetables.
Garlic Powder: ¼ teaspoon of dry garlic powder. You can also use fresh finely diced garlic and add it to the meat mix.
Dry Thyme: ¼ teaspoon of dry thyme. You can use basil or any other dry herbs here.
Salt: ½ teaspoon of salt for the whole meatloaf.
How to make the glaze
1. Mix ketchup, mustard and black pepper until well combined.
2. Measure 3 Tablespoons of the glaze and set aside. Put the rest in the fridge for now. We will use it at the end to glaze the meatloaf.
How to make meatloaf
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Prepare all the vegetables. Wash carrots, pepper, and celery. Peel the carrot and onion. Chop roughly all the vegetables. Place the veggies in a food processor. Process until they are finely shredded. If there are any chunks, just take them out and discard them. If you do not have a food processor just dice all the veggies very finely or grate them using a box grater. They will be more noticeable in the meatloaf, but will not change the taste.
2. Add olive oil to your frying pan and heat it over medium heat. Add shredded vegetables, and cook on medium heat mixing often for about 5 minutes, or until they become soft and start browning. Turn off the heat and set them aside.
3. In a large mixing bowl, add ground turkey, ground beef, eggs, quick oats, salt, garlic powder, and dry herbs. Now add the cooked vegetables and 2 tablespoons of prepared ketchup glaze. Mix everything well, just until all ingredients are combined, but do not overdo it.
4. Cover a regular size bread loaf pan (9x5 inch) with a sheet of parchment paper. Make sure you cut enough to cover all edges and sides of the pan. Press the paper with your hands into the pan. It will not stay there perfectly until we place the meat there. Fill the loaf pan with the meatloaf mix. Using scissors, cut off extra edges of the parchment paper that go over the edges and sides of the pan.
5. Bake the meatloaf on the middle rack for 1 hour and 10 minutes. Take out the meatloaf and spread the rest of the glaze on top, letting it fall down the sides as well. Bake for another 20-25 minutes.
6. Let the meatloaf cool down for at least 15 minutes before taking it out of the pan. Enjoy with your favorite side dish.
Frequently asked questions
YOU SHOULD COOK MEATLOAF TO WHAT INTERNAL TEMPERATURE?
Even this time I posted in the recipe works perfectly and the meatloaf is well done every time. I always prefer to use an internal thermometer to double-check. The meatloaf's internal temperature should reach at least 165°F when the thermometer is inserted in the center of the meatloaf.
HOW LONG DO YOU COOK MEATLOAF AT 400 ° F?
At 400° meatloaf will be fully cooked in about 40 minutes. Just double-check the internal temperature. Add more time if needed.
- Garden Salad: for the light meal serve the slice of meatloaf with some garden salad on a side.
- Mashed Potatoes: this is my favorite side of the meatloaf. Yukon or sweet mashed potatoes go well with this meatloaf.
- Steamed Broccoli: it is a great healthy side to serve with this delicious meatloaf.
Recipe clean tips
-Use organic meats: organic meats have a lower risk of containing growth hormones, antibiotics, and pesticides. I addition buying organic meat is better for our environment. Organic meat can be pricier but if you buy it in bulk at the stores such as Costco or even frozen, it can help you to save some money. I prefer eating less meat but chose better quality.
-Use leaner ground beef and turkey. It will help to reduce the cholesterol content in your meal. 93% is perfect in my opinion. It is not too dry but same time lean enough if you are trying to avoid a greasy meal,
-When the meat is halfway done, take it out and pour out the access fat. Another way to lower the amount of fat in your meatloaf, if you are using meat with higher fat content.
Other recipes you may like
TURKEY AND BEEF MEATLOAF (GLUTEN FREE)
- Food Processor or Grater Box
- Large Mixing Bowl
- Bread Loaf Pan (9x5 inch)
- Frying Pan
- Measuring Cup
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup quick rolled oats
- 1 carrot
- ¼ onion
- 1 celery rib
- ½ bell pepper
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- ½ cup low sodium tomato ketchup *see notes below
- 1 Tablespoon yellow mustard
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Peel, wash and chop the vegetables for the food processor.
- Add chopped onion, carrots, celery and pepper to the food processor. Pulse until finely chopped. You can also grate them with the grater box.
- In a frying pan, preheat olive oil on medium heat. Add the vegetables and cook them for 5 min until soft and juicy. Turn off the heat and set them aside.
- In a measuring cup, add ½ cup of ketchup, mustard and black pepper. Mix it with the fork until well combined. Set aside 2 tablespoons of the glaze. Put the rest in the fridge for now.
- In a big bowl, add turkey, beef, eggs, oats, salt, dry herbs, cooked veggies and 2 tablespoons of the glaze. Mix everything well until well combined.
- Add veggies to the meat mix and give it another good mix until everything is evenly combined. Try not to over mix it.,
- Place a sheet of parchment paper into the loaf pan and pack the meat in the pan.
- Bake for 1 hour and 10 minutes or until internal temperature is 160° F.
- Take out the meatloaf and spread the remaining ketchup glaze on top, bake for another 20 minutes. Carefully take out the meatloaf, let it cool down for at least 15 minutes before removing from the pan. Serve with your favorite side and enjoy!
- To reduce the cooking time by at least 20-30 minutes, bake the meatloaf at 400° F.
- Use box grater to shred the vegetables if you do not have a food processor.
- Make sure you are suing quick rolled oats.
- If you are allergic to gluten, make sure to use gluten free oats.