Air fryer chicken patties made from scratch are great for sandwiches, burgers, or simply with a side of your favorite vegetables.
Air fryer chicken patties recipe
My son loves chicken patties, so I decided it is better to learn making them at home from scratch, instead of buying them frozen.
Home-made always taste better and fresh, because you can choose the quality ingredients, control the amount of sodium, and avoid frying using a lot of oil.
And if you want to make them taste even more fresh, learn how to make chicken mince at home using a food processor or a knife.
This is my son’s favorite meals made with ground chicken. Ground chicken stir fry is another easy recipe you may like.
Air frying cuts the cooking time, making the patties nicely browned on the outside and juicy on the inside – just as if they were grilled.
Besides, dried spices, I also add a little bit of finely grated onion to the meat mix to add some flavor and to make them moist.
Adding a little bit of olive oil to the meat mix improved the texture while brushing some on top creates a nice crust without any breading.
Usually, I do not use breading for this recipe as they taste great without it.
But sometimes, it’s fun to coat them in some breadcrumbs before cooking for extra crunch.
Here is the list and overview of simple ingredients you will need to make this recipe. You can find the quantities in the printable recipe card below.
Ground chicken – I used a 7% fat ground chicken. You can also use ground turkey. I advise avoiding super lean mince, as it may make the patties dry.
Egg – one whole egg for binding the ingredients and holding the patties together.
Bread crumbs – I used plain bread crumbs. Panko breadcrumbs works great too. If you use seasoned ones (like Italian), consider reducing the amount of sodium.
Yellow onion – you can skip the onion, but it adds a little bit of texture, moisture, and flavor.
Salt and spices – I used salt, dried basil, garlic powder, onion powder, and black pepper.
Olive oil – you will need a little bit to add to the meat mixture and some for brushing on top of the patties.
Step 1. In a large bowl, add ground chicken, bread crumbs, eggs, one teaspoon of olive oil, salt, garlic powder, onion powder, pepper, and any other dried spices. Mix everything well with a fork until one is consistent.
Step 2. Line a large cutting board or a baking pan with some wax paper. Dived the meat mix into 6-7 parts. Form a patty. I usually form a ball with my hands, place it on parchment paper, and then flatten it. I make my patties about 1 inch thick, as they will plum up during the cooking process. Brush each formed patty with a little bit of olive oil.
Step 3. Preheat the air fryer for about 5 minutes. Place chicken patties in an air fryer basket, making sure they have space and not touching.
Step 4. Air fry at 390°F for 7 minutes, Flip them on the other side and air fry for another 4-5 minutes until golden brown and the internal temperature reaches 165°F.
Making breaded chicken patties
If you like them extra crispy, follow the above directions up until step 2 (just skip the oil brush) and follow the below directions on how to make them breaded:
- Prepare a breading by mixing one cup of panko or regular breadcrumbs and ⅓ cup of grated Parmesan cheese.
- Coat each patty with the breading mix, pressing the breadcrumbs gently onto the meat. Make sure to coat all the sides.
- Preheat the air fryer for about 5 minutes. Arrange breaded patties in the air fryer basket.
- Air fry at 390°F for about 12-14 minutes flipping them halfway through.
Tips and tricks
Below are a few important tips and tricks for making the best chicken patties in your air fryer:
- Do not over mix the chicken mixture.
- If it sticks to your hands while forming the patties, dip your hands in water or use food-grade disposable gloves.
- Make the patties rather thin (about 1 inch), as they will plum up after cooking.
- Adding some olive oil to the meat mix will make them juicier and more tender. Not more than one Tablespoon per pound of meat.
- The cooking time may vary depending on the size of the patties and the type of air fryer.
- Use a meat thermometer to ensure the meat is cooked through.
I like to make a large batch of chicken patties to keep them on hand for a quick dinner idea on a busy weeknight.
They last in the fridge for up to 3 days and reheat well in the microwave or air fryer.
You can also freeze cooked patties for up to 3 months.
Frozen patties can be cooked in the air fryer without thawing.
Make sure to store leftover chicken patties in an air-tight container or freezer-safe bags.
As a burger: chicken burgers taste great on a brioche or pretzel buns with a slice of cheese, some lettuce, tomato, and mayo.
With a side: I often serve it with a side of rice or potatoes and some steamed veggies.
With a dipping sauce: serve it with some BBQ sauce, honey mustard, or ranch. A side of sweet potato fries will make it a meal.
Frequently asked questions
How long should I cook chicken patties in the air fryer?
Depending on the thickness of the patties, if they are frozen or not, and on the model of the air fryer, it takes between 12-20 minutes at 390°F to cook the patties until the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F.
Can I use ground turkey instead of chicken for this recipe?
Yes, you can use ground turkey to make this recipe. The cooking time and temperature should be the same.
Can I prepare these chicken patties ahead of time and freeze them for later use?
Yes, after you form the patties, place them on a cutting board lined with some wax paper. Place the cutting board in a freezer for about 1 hour until the patties become firm. Then, transfer them to a freezer-safe container or bag.
Other air fryer chicken recipes
- Air fryer chicken meatballs
- Air fryer breaded chicken cutlets
- Air fryer boneless chicken thighs
- Air fryer chicken bites
- Air fryer frozen chicken breast
Air Fryer Chicken Patties
- 1 bowl
- 1 Measuring Cup
- measuring spoons
- 1 Air fryer
- 1 pound ground chicken, 7% fat
- 1 egg
- ⅓ cup bread crumbs
- 1 Tablespoon onion, grated or finely chopped optional
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon dried basil or parsley
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- In a large bowl, add 1 pound ground chicken, 1 egg, ⅓ cup bread crumbs, 1 Tablespoon grated onion (if using), ½ teaspoon salt, ¼ teaspoon garlic powder¼ teaspoon onion powder¼ teaspoon black pepper, ½ teaspoon dried basil and 1 teaspoon olive oil. Use a fork to mix everything until combined.
- Line a cutting board or a baking pan with some parchment paper. Form 6-7 patties and arrange them on a prepared surface. Brush each patty with the remaining olive oil.
- Preheat air fryer for at least 5 minutes. Place formed patties in the air fryer basket. You can cook it in batches if all do not fit.
- Air fry at 390°F for 7 minutes on one side. Carefully flip them on the other side and air fry for another 4-5 minutes or until nicely browned and the internal temperature reaches 165°F. Enjoy!
- You can use also use ground turkey to make this recipe.
- Cooked chicken patties freeze well for up to 3 months.
- Do not forget to flip them for even cooking.
- The nutritional facts are for informational purposes only.
Leave a Reply