Easy air fryer chicken bites are perfectly seasoned chicken pieces cooked in your air fryer to become a quick dinner, snack, or delicious appetizer. Serve them with a side of veggies, add to the salad, or dip them in your favorite sauce.
Air fryer chicken bites recipe
We all have different preferences in our family when it comes to food. While my son and husband prefer breaded chicken, I like to have my dinner without extra carbs.
Very often, when I make breaded cutlets for dinner, I set aside one chicken breast for myself to cook in the air fryer.
These delicious chicken bites are low-carb, gluten-free, and keto because I make them without breading. I only toss them in oil and flavorful seasoning. They always come out browned and juicy.
You can even save the leftovers to pack for lunch the next day. I like this recipe because it's quick, mess-free, and versatile.
By the way, you can also cook frozen chicken breast in the air fryer, that's in case you forgot to thaw it.
Difference between chicken nuggets and chicken bites
Chicken bites are smaller than chicken nuggets. It takes about 2-3 bites to eat a chicken nugget.
Nuggets are usually made with ground chicken and most of the time they are breaded. Chicken bites are made with 100% chicken meat such as breasts or thighs, and they can be breaded or not breaded.
Chicken bites can be a healthier alternative to nuggets.
Ingredients and substitutions
You can find the precise ingredients' quantities in the recipe card at the end of this post.
- Chicken breasts: you will need boneless skinless chicken breasts or thighs to make this recipe.
- Olive oil: you will need a little bit of olive oil or avocado oil.
- Seasonings: you can use any of your favorite chicken seasonings, homemade or store-bought. Today, I used salt, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, black pepper, and Chipotle powder.
Recipe detailed instructions
Step 1. Pat dry the chicken breast with a paper towel. Place it on a cutting board and cut the breast lengthwise into ½-1 inch strips. Then, cut each strip into bite-sized pieces.
Step 2. Place the bites into the medium bowl and add olive oil, salt, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, black pepper, and Chipotle seasoning. Mix well with a spoon until each piece is coated well with the seasoning. You can let the meat rest for about 10 minutes at room temperature.
Step 3. Preheat the air fryer for about 5 minutes. Arrange the chicken bites in a single layer and air fryer at 390 degrees F for about 7-11 minutes until the meat is browned and the internal temperature of the largest piece reaches, shaking it halfway through for even cooking.
- For the best results, cut the chicken into even pieces, and just do not make them too small.
- Experiment with different seasonings.
- Do not overcrowd the air fryer, cook in 2 batches if needed.
- Check the internal temperature of the chicken using the meat thermometer.
- I used a Ninja air fryer to make this recipe, you may need to adjust the cooking time if using a different air fryer.
- As an option, you can coat them in corn starch, panko breadcrumbs, or grated Parmesan cheese to make them extra crispy.
Serve it as an appetizer or a snack with your favorite dipping sauce, such as buffalo, BBQ sauce, or ranch dressing.
Favorite Seasonings ideas
- Butter garlic
- Lemon pepper
- Cajun seasoning
- Taco seasoning
How to store and reheat
Store leftover chicken bites in an airtight container for up to 3-4 days.
You can easily freeze them for up to 3 months.
It is safe to store raw seasoned chicken in a fridge for up to 24 hours.
The easiest way to reheat the bites is in the air fryer or microwave oven.
Frequently asked questions
Depending on the air fryer type, cooking temperature and the size of the chicken pieces, the chicken bites take about 7-12 minutes to cook, or until the internal temperature reaches 165°F.
Yes, you can cook frozen chicken bites in an air fryer without thawing. Cook them in the air fryer for about 11-15 minutes, until the internal temperature reaches 165°F.
Spray the air fryer basket with a non-stick cooking spray. Place cold chicken bites on a tray and reheat at 350°F for 3-5 minutes or until heated through.
Other air fryer chicken recipes
- Boneless skinless chicken thighs in the air fryer
- Air fryer chicken drumsticks
- Air fryer chicken wings
- Air fryer quick chicken fajitas
Air Fryer Chicken Bites
- 1 Air fryer
- measuring spoons
- 1 medium bowl
- 1 ea large chicken breast
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon salt or more by taste
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon Chipotle or Chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- Pat dry the chicken breast and cut it into bite-size pieces.
- In a medium bowl, add chicken bites,1 Tablespoon olive oil, ¼ teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon paprika, ½ teaspoon garlic powder, ½ teaspoon onion powder, ¼ teaspoon Chipotle or Chili powder, and ¼ teaspoon black pepper. Mix until well coated.
- Preheat the air fryer for 5 minutes. Arrange the chicken bites in a single layer in the air fryer basket. Cook at 390°F for about 7-11 minutes, shaking the chicken halfway though the cooking time. The chicken is cooked when it is no longer pink inside and the internal temperature reaches 165°F.
- Cook the chicken in to even pieces.
- Experiment with different seasonings.
- Serve with a side of vegetables, rice or with your favorite dipping sauce.
- All nutrition information is only estimate and calculated using the calorie counting application.