So far, this is my favorite way to cook asparagus from frozen. This healthy and easy-to-make air fryer frozen asparagus is cooked with a delicious mix of olive oil, lemon, and herbs. A perfect side dish for any meal.
- 🥦Why you will love this air fryer asparagus recipe
- 🥬Frozen asparagus vs fresh
- ⏲️How to cook frozen asparagus in the air fryer
- 🍴Serving suggestions
- ⭐Tips for success
- 🍲How to store and reheat
- 📋Recipe variations
- 🌡️How to air fry fresh asparagus
- 💭Frequently asked questions
- 🥗Other air fryer vegetable recipes
- 📖 Recipe
🥦Why you will love this air fryer asparagus recipe
- Quick - takes about 13 minutes to cook this healthy side dish from frozen.
- Healthier - cooking your veggies in an air fryer requires less oil.
- Nutritious - asparagus is a great source of dietary fiber, folate, and vitamins A, C, and K.
- Meal prep - it reheats very well, making it a great side dish for your lunch box.
🥬Frozen asparagus vs fresh
Frozen asparagus is as nutritious as fresh. Freezing is the best way to keep it on hand at all times. When frozen, it lasts longer and can be air fried without thawing to become a delicious side dish in under 15 minutes. Frozen roasted asparagus will have a different texture compared to the fresh one.
It will be mushier, but still very delicious and can be cooked until crispy at high temperatures. That's why an air fryer is the best way to cook it from frozen.
Frozen asparagus is more affordable, especially if it's not in season. It's a great option for winter months when a lot of green veggies are not in season and are more expensive.
Spring is the best time to buy fresh asparagus because it's the peak season for this vegetable. Fresh asparagus can be oven-roasted, air fried, or steamed.
Fresh asparagus can have a crisp and at the same time tender texture. You can easily make it tender, snappy, or charred by adjusting its cooking time and choosing the right cooking method.
- Frozen asparagus spears - I used plain whole frozen asparagus spears. You can also use cut ones or even seasoned ones. When using seasoned frozen asparagus, skip adding salt and spices.
- Olive oil - olive oil is the best choice to make this recipe. You can also use some butter, ghee, or avocado oil instead.
- Lemon juice - some freshly squeezed lemon juice will add a nice flavor. If you do not like lemon, skip it.
- Salt - a little bit of sea salt or garlic salt for the taste.
- Dry oregano - it is optional but matches great with the rest of the ingredients.
- Garlic powder - garlic powder adds a mild flavor making the roasted veggies taste even better. You can use minced fresh garlic too, but be careful not to burn it.
- Black pepper - add by taste, but a little bit of black pepper or white pepper for a little spicy kick.
See recipe card for ingredients quantities.
⏲️How to cook frozen asparagus in the air fryer
Step 1 - arrange frozen asparagus spears on an air fryer basket in a single layer. Do not overcrowd, cook in a few batches if needed. Air fry asparagus at 390 degrees F for 5 minutes.
Step 2 - meanwhile, mix olive oil, lemon juice, salt, oregano, and garlic powder in a small bowl.
Step 3 - remove the air fryer basket and transfer partially cooked asparagus to the plate. Pour the olive oil dressing to coat the spears.
Step 4 - place the asparagus back on the basket and air fry at 390°F for another 6-7 minutes or until desired crispiness.
Asparagus pairs well with almost any entree. My favorite way is to enjoy it with some baked sea bass. It also goes well with chicken, steak, and potatoes.
Sometimes, I make it as an easy side dish for my breakfast omelette.
Next time, try to sprinkle your roasted asparagus with some red pepper flakes and an extra squeeze of lemon.
Make it cheesy by adding freshly grated parmesan cheese on top.
⭐Tips for success
- cook asparagus in batches to avoid overcrowding the air fryer.
- adjust the cooking time if needed depending on your air fryer model.
- thin asparagus will cook faster and will have a crispy texture.
- for easy clean up lay parchment paper in your air fryer basket.
🍲How to store and reheat
Refrigerate any leftovers in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
You can reheat cooked asparagus in the microwave or in the air fryer at 400°F for about 3 minutes or until hot.
You can experiment with different seasonings to make this delicious vegetable. The best herbs to season asparagus are tarragon, thyme, dill, and fresh chives.
If you make compound herb butter, you can use it to roast the asparagus or drizzle some on top for serving.
Simply preheat the oven to 400°F. Lay parchment paper over a baking dish. Season frozen asparagus with olive oil, lemon juice, and herbs mix. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until the top ends become golden brown, tossing it halfway through.
🌡️How to air fry fresh asparagus
Asparagus is a spring vegetable, and when it's in the season I always recommend cooking fresh asparagus stalks.
In spring, you can also find white asparagus at your local grocery store. White asparagus has a milder and sweet taste.
Follow these easy directions to cook fresh asparagus in air fryer:
- first, wash and trim asparagus by snapping off the ends.
- Place the spears in a large bowl and season them generously with olive oil and herbs.
- Then, air fry fresh asparagus at 400°F for about 6-7 minutes or until desired crispiness.
💭Frequently asked questions
Yes, air fryer roasted asparagus can be cooked until crispy and delicious without using a lot of oil.
Yes, asparagus is a great vegetable to enjoy while following a keto diet.
Yes! It will more time and asparagus might not be as crispy, but you can use your oven to cook asparagus from frozen. Bake for 15-20 minutes at 400°F or until the top ends become golden brown, tossing it halfway through.
🥗Other air fryer vegetable recipes
- Air fryer carrots and potatoes
- Air fryer frozen butternut squash
- Air fryer portobello mushrooms
- Air fryer parsnip fries
Air fryer Frozen Asparagus
- 1 Ninja XL air fryer or other brand
- 1 set of measuring spoons
- 1 small bowl
- 10 each frozen asparagus spears
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon dry oregano
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper or by taste
- Arrange frozen asparagus spears on air fryer basket in a single layer.
- Air fry at 390 for 5 minutes. Meanwhile, combine olive oil, lemon juice, salt, oregano, garlic powder and black pepper in a small bowl.
- Remove the basket and transfer the asparagus to the plate. Coat with the sauce and place the asparagus back in the air fryer basket.
- Air fry for another 6-7 minutes or until desired crispiness. Serve hot!
- cooking times may differ depending on your air fryer model.
- arrange frozen asparagus spears in a single layer.
- thinner pears will be crispier and cook faster.
- Nutritional facts are for information purposes only, and not to be considered medical advice.