Learn how to cook beets in an instant pot. This method of cooking beets is one of the easiest. Cooked beets are a nutritious root vegetable to add to your salads, smoothies, sandwiches and more.
I use cooked beets as a side dish or in my two favorite Ukrainian salads - dressed herring and Vinegret.
Before I got my instant pot duo, I used to boil the beets. It usually would take about one hour to cook whole beets in boiling water (depending on the size). Instant pot makes the process easier and faster. Try it and you will never cook beets any other way.
If you never cooked beets or you are not sure how to cook the beets, this recipe is great even for beginners. It's really hard to mess up cooking beetroot in instant pot if you follow my easy recipe instructions.
Why you will love this beets recipe
- faster, less mess recipe compare to the oven or stove-top method.
- cooked beets are very versatile and can be used as a snack, side dish, in salads or soups, smoothies.
- this instant pot beetroot recipe is the best for meal prep. Make a bunch on Sunday and use in so many ways during the whole week.
- beets are loaded with vitamins and minerals.
- this beets cooked in instant pot can be a great baby food (just need to be pureed).
Literally, you will need only 2 ingredients to make these delicious and sweet beets.
Whole Raw Beets: use whole raw beets, with pr without the stems. We will be cutting stems off ( can be used for some soups), but the beets with stems usually guarantee they are fresh.
Water: cold tap or filtered water will work for this recipe.
The most important piece of equipment is Instant Pot. I used instant pot duo, but the times should be the same for any other versions.
Large Bowl: for washing the beets.
Veggie Scrubber: to get rid of any dirt.
Cutting Board and Large Knife: to cut off the stems.
Instant Pot: to cook our sweet beets.
How to cook beets in an instant pot
Cut the stems off: Cut the stems off your beets as soon as you brought them home. Try not to cut them too close to the beet, because the vegetable will dry out faster. Beets will remain fresh longer in the fridge without stems. Use the green leaves right away in soups or stews or discard them. You can cut off the roots too (long tails), but I never do. I just peel them with the rest of the skin ones cooked.
Clean the beets: In a large bowl, add plenty of cold water and beets. Use the veggie scrubber to get rid of any dirt and sand (you do not want our beets to taste crunchy).
Prepare for cooking: Place the metal trivet at the bottom of your instant pot. If you do not have a trivet, use the steamer basket. Add one cup of water. Place cleaned beets on top of the trivet in a single layer.
Pressure Cook: Pressure cook on high for 28 minutes (see the different times suggested for different beet sizes below). Do natural release. Let the beets cool down enough to handle. Peel and enjoy in your favorite recipes or as a delicious side dish.
How long should I cook beets in instant pot
The beet above (the size of a medium lemon) is medium-size beets (most common). The circumference of all 3 beets I got is approximately 7 inches and I pressure-cooked them for 28 minutes with natural release.
I always pick small-medium beets and pressure-cook them for 28 minutes - perfect every time. Their sizes cannot be exactly the same, so I always go of the biggest beet in the bunch when it comes to pick how long I cook my beets..
For bigger beets: add 2-3 minutes for each half an inch.
For smaller beets: reduce the cooking time by 2-3 minutes for each half an inch.
I like my beets soft.
If you prefer them little crunchy, reduce the cooking time by 2 minutes and do quick release instead of natural.
Submerge hot beets in cold water for 1-2 minutes (no longer than that!) or run them under cold water. This trip will cool them down faster and it will be easier to peel them.
How to pick and store fresh beetroots
- If you are going to use the stems for other recipes, buy the beets with stems, they are usually sold by the pound in bunches. Of course, beets with green leaves are fresher but there is nothing wrong with ones that have stems removed. Just make sure they are stored in refrigerated areas at the store and are very firm (soft ones are not fresh).
- For cooking (especially in instant pot), try to buy beetroots that are the same size. This way, they will cook evenly with no surprises.
- Store fresh bought beets in the fridge vegetable drawer. Cut the stems (if any) right away, leaving a few inches of stem attached. Do not wash the beets, unless you are going to cook them right away. Raw beets will remain fresh in the fridge for 10-15 days. If they turn soft, the beets are no longer good.
How long do cooked beets last
Refrigeration: cooked beets will last in the fridge for 3 to 4 days when properly stored. Let the beets cool down first for about 30-40 minutes, then store them in the fridge in an airtight container or a zip-lock bag.
Peeled and Cubed Beets are better stored in a glass container.
Cooked Whole Beets are easier to store in a zip-lock bag.
Freezing: cooked beets will last in the freezer for up to 3 months. Let the beets cool down completely in the fridge first, then peel and cube them, and place them in freezer-safe bags. Make sure to squeeze out the access air and label bags with the date.
Other favorite recipes with beets
How to cook beets in an instant pot
- 1 Instant Pot Duo with trivet or use the steamer basket instead
- 1 large bowl
- 1 Veggie Scrubber
- 1 Measuring Cup
- 3 medium size beets (about 7 inches circumference) see the post above regarding different cooking times.
- 1 cup cold water
- Cut off beets' stems and tails. Wash and scrub the beets very well.
- Place a metal trivet at the bottom of your instant pot. Pour one cup of water. Arrange the beets on the trivet in a single layer.
- Set your instant pot on pressure-cook setting (high), and cook for 28 minutes. Let it natural release. Open the lid carefully (caution hot). Using kitchen tongs, remove the hot beets and place them in a bowl to cool down. Peel and use once cool enough to handle.
Leave a Reply